Meriwether County, Georgia, located in the west central part of the state, was created in 1827. Meriwether and its parent county, Troup, were included in the last territory ceded by the Creek Indians to the United States government. The area is called the "Land Between the Rivers," named for the Flint River which forms Meriwether's eastern boundary and the Chattahoochee which delineates Georgia from Alabama.
The county seat of Meriwether County is Greenville. Other significant towns and cities in Meriwether, in addition to Greenville, are Luthersville, Rocky Mount, Alvaton, Lone Oak, Primrose, Wooster, Saint Marks, Oakland, Gay, Woodbury, Odessadale, Stovall, Harris City, Raleigh, Durand, White Sulphur Springs, Warm Springs and Manchester.
Early settlers of Meriwether County, according to George White, author of Statistics of Georgia, and Georgia historian Lucian L. Knight, were Abner Durham, Levi Adams, Gen. Hugh Ector, Thomas E. Hardaway, B. Gates, D. C. Rose, William Harris, G. Talbot, David Keith, William Bowles, Joseph Sentell, John H. Jones, J. A. Perdieu, Colonel Welborn, Marshall Martin, David Williams, Dr. Andrew Park, Freeman W. Blount, W. D. Alexander, William Harris, Henry Harris Sr., Isaac Thrash, Allen Rowe, Georgia C. Heard, William Gill, Lewis Pyron, John P. Thompson, J. Hodnett, E. Peavy, Simon Petit, John Jones, Charles B. Harris, C. Campbell, Major Kendall, John H. Jones, E. Bradley, Austin V. Corley, William Sasser, Thomas Clark, Henry G. Clark, Cyprain Bulloch Sr., Catlett Campbell, John L. Dixon, W. P. Norris, William Dunn, William Florence, J. C. Freeman, George Caldwell, John Slaton, and Columbus Gray.
"History of Meriwether County, Ga,"The GaGenWeb Project, (http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/s/msaffold/history.htm :assessed 31 July 2011).